...well.
Today I laughed, a lot, as I was walking home from rehearsal, exhausted, casually pondering the self, the value (yes) of acting with self-interest, self vs. others, etc., etc. And I laughed because self is another one of those arbitrary distinctions we make up. Like race, and gender, and sexual orientation. And we (including me), spend so much time fussing about those differences we forget that they are not the point. We get caught up in the difference, this vs. that, when in actuality, nothing is VS anything at all, and continuing to think of it that way is not going to help us.
Reality is, in fact, much simpler. So simple it can, in fact, be extraordinarily difficult to believe. God is One, God is All. And if we want to personify God as an old man up in the sky, I imagine Him chuckling at us as we wrestle with language and each other trying to figure this out when it's staring at us from every single corner. Because it's a truth often better expressed in image, sound, art, than explained in words. I can try to explain it, but that frankly won't do any good.
Comprehension is only useful if it has to do with living.
ps: bed before midnight bed before midnight i'm so excited!
i find myself quoting you (from your blog) more often than quoting myself.
ReplyDeletei'm not sure what that means.