Today I learned: Ask questions, even when you don't have them, because then people know you're thinking. It can actually be reassuring. In high-pressure situations (aka: tech, aka: theater in general), I tend not to worry or freak out too terribly, because I have a way to funnel that energy into doing something productive about it. It's one of my strengths as someone in the theater... calm, positive attitude throughout tech. (and even when I'm not calm and positive, I'm good at faking it until I leave the room and go cry with my costume designer. thanks Barbara.) But actually, if you seem too unconcerned, people can start to think that you're oblivious to the task that needs to be done. So, asking a small question, or saying, "I'm a bit worried about THIS," just shows what you're thinking about. And THAT you're thinking.
Asking questions has always been something I've shied away from. Asking questions and requesting things. Not my strong points. I've been getting better, mostly from determination and panic about not being able to keep a conversation going.
Simple, but useful.
No comments:
Post a Comment