Thursday, January 14, 2010

I LOVE NEW YORK CITY OH YEAH NEW YORK CITY

One fine day before break, I was at PHTS on a day when several students were saying "goodbye" to PHTS before they left for winter break. This was often accompanied by tears. The Associate Director of PHTS then asked me if I was going to cry. I said, "No. What'll happen is I'll leave and sleep for a long time and then you'll send out an email about curriculum and I'll get extremely excited and post a blog about how much I love PHTS."

I LOVE PHTS!

I was cruising somewhere around Newark at 1:50 when the email arrived on my phone. I start typing madly on my phone while trying not to flail because someone was in the seat next to me. I typed and was about ready to send my response asking about Voice and Speech... when we entered the tunnel into New York and I lost service. Email ended up being sent as I was getting off the train at 2:17.

No one can ever accuse me of having a lack of enthusiasm.

I sometimes wonder/it wouldn't surprise me if PHTS faculty take bets on our responses to these kinds of things. Like, "I bet this person, this person, and this person, will respond immediately." "I bet this person will ask a question about this." Or, "I wonder how many minutes it will take for Colleen to respond asking something about Voice and Speech?" I cannot gush on about what classes I'm actually taking yet, as that's yet to be finalized especially because of (always) my voice and speech obsession, but there's some old favorites from last semester and some exciting new classes. I'll be back in that building soon and I'm tickled about it. Lots of grinning happening today (slightly unfortunate because that's still slightly painful because I'm over two weeks out of my surgery and still have swelling on the right side. Not really visible, but definitely there, opening my mouth to eat is still sometimes tricky. I really just want full range of motion of my jaw again. That's all).

I went to run some errands (K-Mart!) and sat down on the island in the middle of the Astor/Lafayette/8th Street intersection (by the Alamo) and just grinned. That's it. Just grinned. One of the things the whole ARGS budget trouble has done is reminded me of how lucky I am to be here and get the kind of education I'm getting. As the start-of-the-semester emails from various teachers and administrators have started rolling in, seeing their names in my inbox has lit my heart with, "Oh my goodness, I love them!"

Speaking of ARGS, the Governing Board meeting was today. I haven't gotten the official updates yet, but this has popped up on the Progress-Index: "Chesterfield schools chief will not cut Appomattox governor's school". Not much there except the superintendent saying he does not intend to cut Chesterfield's participation in either Governor's School. YES! There's still a lot of budget concerns to work out beyond that, but that's a sigh of relief... and a sign of sanity within this whole issue.

Lots to do before classes start. Mainly because I know there's no hope of things like "slacker first classes", particularly with one of my academic classes. I've had the teacher before and I'll be enormously surprised if he DOESN'T assign us five books to read after the first class.

Now I'm going to go work on the 8 page production office proposal form that's due tomorrow at 6pm.

love it love it love it. Welcome back, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment