Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cleansed by fire; I may seem only half-glued, but I can see right through you

I'm currently reading the autobiography of Alice Cooper. It's largely about golf.

So yes, Alice Cooper, inventor of shock rock 'n' roll, who would appear onstage with snakes, who accidentally caused the death of a chicken during one of his shows, hated by parents in the 70's, who had longer hair and makeup before anyone else. Apparently becoming addicted to golf helped him get over his addition to alcohol. I bought it from the Barnes and Noble bargain priced section, because I love that era of metal (I was absolutely obsessed with it in middle school, and came to school once my junior year of high school jokingly outfitted with Cooper-esque makeup... on picture day), I still want to be a rock star, I've read my biography of Ozzy Osbourne multiple times, and this had Alice Cooper holding a fake bloody golf club. It was also six bucks. What's not to love?

I'm loving it so far. Straightforward, funny, smart, honest, incredibly positive. Not, perhaps, what you would expect from someone who used guillotines as effects on stage, but one thing I find so refreshing about Cooper is that the theatrics of rock 'n' roll (largely innovated BY Alice Cooper the band) are silly to him. He is a showman, and Alice is the role he plays. Groucho Marx once called him "the last hope of vaudeville". Indeed, I've been seeing him referred to as "theater rock". I appreciate that.

I did some Googling to find out more information. He's playing at the National in Richmond on September 29th. And I found this quote about his faith (he is, in fact, a born again Christian):

"Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's real rebellion!" - Alice Cooper

So there you have it. I agree. Actually being a Christian is, and always has been, extremely radical. Rebellion for even the king of nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment