- I'm working on revising my fantasy novel (which is actually part of a trilogy). I've been working on this for most of the summer. I learned a lot about plotting from rereading Harry Potter, and am working on an html document that is a map of my world where I can click on places with plot points and it will bring up impulse images that relate to each one, etc. (This came out of wanting a visual way to plot, but not having a printer or easy access to a Walgreens Photo Center.) I've been rewatching LOTR, which has taught me a lot about worldbuilding. I have realized exactly how much of a sucker I am for the old wizard/young adventurer relationship. It's Gandalf/Frodo, and Dumbledore/Harry, and I fall for it so easily. I'm sure this is because it's based on a specific kind of mentor/mentee love that has affected my life deeply. (And, yes, for the two years I spent hanging out in one of my teacher's offices, I did occasionally glimpse a magic wand or mirror. This is truth.) I'm trying to avoid putting in a wizard who explains it all, because I've seen it done badly (coughEragoncough), but I'm working on a way to include this relationship non-obviously.
- Andrew, Courtney and I hung out the other day, which was the geekiest assortment of people on summer staff. Seriously, get Andrew and I comparing iPods and it becomes about who has more Palestrina and that's just ridiculous. We watched Fellowship of the Ring and ate biscuits with elderberry jam. I have the coolest friends ever. ("In the fires of Mount Doom, there were biscuits forged!")
- When Courtney and I were walking back from watching FOTR (and there's very little that's more fun than walking along a mountain after watching LOTR), we stopped and looked at the sky. There were more stars than I'd ever seen. She told me I needed to to come to her house in Arkansas, where you can see the Milky Way every night. When I told her I'd never seen the Milky Way, her heart broke. There is so much to see and experience in the world. I love that.
- Continuing in the "I have the coolest friends ever" vein, one of my good friends in New York (who goes to Columbia, we met through Sweeney) just got a turtle and named it Duchamp.
- I got a Facebook message from one of my friends at NYU about starting a prayer initiative at Tisch, for those of us who want to get together and pray and fellowship. Beautiful.
- I used my voice and speech skills micing someone yesterday for worship. I'd noticed in past worship services, this particular person has a tendency to speak past his amount of breath, making his voice significantly quieter and much less full. I kept this in mind yesterday and was able to mix him so that he could still be heard. Yessss.
You hear its sound, but you don't know where it comes from or where it is going. That's the way it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.
Monday, July 20, 2009
Pick-a-little, talk-a-little, pick-pick-pick
A few random updates that I cannot fit into a big, meaningful post:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember seeing the Milky Way regularly when growing up. Alas, I can't remember when I last saw it.
ReplyDelete