Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I am reaching, but I fall...

He also said, 'The tools of the soul are these; to cast oneself down in God's sight; not to lift oneself up; and to put self-will behind one.'

and

A hermit said, 'If a man prepares for the next day, it cuts away the fruit of his spirit and leaves him dry.'

--The Desert Fathers

God called me out yesterday and it hurt, though it was absolutely necessary.  So I can find no Art Spirit quote that's appropriate for the situation, and, indeed, am finding it difficult to explain it in non-religious terms, except to perhaps say that it is extremely important where you put your focus, and if that focus strays, you risk falling off the path completely.

But, forgiveness is swift, if we choose to accept it. I think so often we opt not to choose forgiveness in order to bask in negativity and, more temptingly, hold onto the ideas we had before. Accepting forgiveness means letting go.

I'm not sure that I've done anything to truly warrant the welcome I received yesterday when the Musical Theater Practicum show at PHTS ended and people realized I was sitting in the back row, after having been snuck in by the actors when my plane landed too late for me to catch the whole thing. (I do have friends, I do have a lot of friends, and I have no idea what I offer them to make them so supportive.) I'm not sure I've ever felt so much concentrated love coming at me at once. I guess that means I've done something right in the past 3.5 years, though I think most of that reaction is grace being poured out to me. I certainly don't deserve it, but... thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Not understanding the "God called me out" and "need for forgiveness" with the welcome you received.

    ReplyDelete