Thursday, December 30, 2010

From Asheville to Abidjan..

This is a very good break.

I say this even though I am filled with impatience. I am chomping at the bit for next semester to begin. I’m so excited for next semester. I’m like... doing backflips about next semester. And, of course, I still hate transitions, so I’m bouncing around anxiously wanting to rush through it and get to next semester. BUT, this is a very good break. It’s turned out to be a very busy one. I thought it would be just the opposite. But somehow it’s worked out that I’m traveling constantly. Never in one place for much more than a week, often only a couple days. I’m leaving Charleston, SC today to head up to Montreat. Back to “my beloved mountain”. My spiritual stomping grounds.

Note: I’ve gotten pretty well-versed with various modes of travel, particularly over this past semester with my own little Grand Tour in Europe. However, this trip up to North Carolina is my first solo roadtrip. Mostly because I didn’t get my driver’s license until winter break my sophomore year of COLLEGE. Have hated driving my entire life, except that it gives me free reign to embarrassingly belt out showtunes in the front seat. I have made every excuse not to drive. (Including, “It gives me jaw tension and all of first year Voice and Speech I was working to get rid of jaw tension!”) I am really hopeless at suburban navigation. BUT I’m excited for this trip and am feeling that freedom of having a car, a suitcase, and a road ahead of me that most people feel when they’re... 16. Better late than never?

For those of you who have joined in recently on this blog, I worked at Montreat for the past two summers, operating sound for conferences, and yes, it was the best job ever. I will be reuniting with my friends from the past two summers at Montreat Summer Staff Reunion for New Year’s, then attending MONTREAT COLLEGE CONFERENCE. I am so excited for College Conference. I’ve never been to College Conference before.. in fact, I haven’t been a conferee at a Montreat conference since 2004. It will be both fun and strange to participate IN the conference instead of hanging out behind the scenes. And I’m thrilled to be going to this particular conference. First of all, for the leaders involved. Brian MacLaren, who I was not able to hear preach at Montreat last summer because I was flying to Ghana at the time but who Russ says is incredible and dynamic. Beth Williams, music leader, who’s chill and awesome and I miced last summer. And Resurrection Dance Theater from Haiti. HELLO.

I’m also particularly looking forward to the theme of the conference. “Wondering Wanderers”. It’s all about questioning, working to discern God’s call for your life, and pilgrimage. You know. Everything I’m dealing with right now. Workshops on everything from Haitian Dance to “how faith quips you to engage with global crises” to learning to communicate between folks with different points of view to being a modern-day pilgrim. Worship every day. Access to MULTIPLE labyrinths. I need a labyrinth right now. And whenever I need a labyrinth, one appears. (because have I mentioned that I’m confused by everything right now? I’m still confused by everything.) Somehow I didn’t realize that I was truly going to College Conference, nor did I realize how relevant this particular conference was to my life until a couple days ago. Funny how God sets that up. Going to this conference actually gives me a giant feeling of relief, which is rather nice.

Also seeing Toubab Krewe tonight. Toubab Krewe is a band from Asheville, North Carolina, who has traveled to West Africa (particularly Mali, Guinea, and Cote d’Ivoire), studied, learned the music of the places they visited, and now play a fusion music of Southern mountain rock and West African music. They play a kora and other indigenious instruments, and I can hear the Malian influence miles away. (I LOVE Malian music. LOVE LOVE LOVE.) I saw Toubab Krewe live at Bele Chere in Asheville last summer, just before I went to Ghana. How appropriate. Also helping with the re-entry process.

I DESPERATELY wish I could form coherent, articulate thoughts at this moment of my life. It’s like I’m finding myself mute and God’s just chuckling at me. Alas. Though, I think the real problem generally comes about if God stops chuckling, so I'll be fine.

2 comments:

  1. your first solo roadtrip and the car conks out. i see big city life for you, with reliable public transportation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Mike!! She's definately happier in the City.

    The car has a bad starter bushing. They are replacing the starter. Probably be ready today, late.

    ReplyDelete