Saturday, June 6, 2009

And the beauty is...

Today, I bought about $50 worth of groceries for $14. Sometimes, I love not being in New York. (I also just love Amazing Savings in Black Mountain, but anyway.) I also love that if I buy a meal here, it's $3. THREE. DOLLARS.

We got our schedules for next week - the first Youth conference. Youth conferences, I've heard, are the most demanding for A/V Crew because they bring in movie clips and bands and such. (Worship and Music is the most demanding for Aud crew because they bring in a lot of physical stuff.) It's a rough week, to be sure, multiple days that start at 6:45am, but not nearly has demanding as what I'm used to... even what I was used to first year, which wasn't nearly as rough as second year. (Though we all believed it was. Foolishness.) I'm looking forward to Youth conferences starting because I'll have less time, which inevitably means I'll get more done. (Not that I'm complaining about having more time, it's been nice. But I've got some Proust to read. As it stands, I've been watching a lot of movies and trying to name the time period based on the costume and getting a lot of strange looks.)

I bought a book today about the draw of liturgy. I bought it primarily because 400I'm drawn to liturgy and trying to figure out why. The back cover of the book alluded to the fact that liturgy creates an experience with the senses, and that won my heart right there. (One of the easiest ways to get me excited about something is to talk about how it impacts the senses. Do it and I'll swoon. I'll probably go into why at some point.) I'm excited about reading this - partially because of all the previous reasons, and partially because there's a connection between theatre and ritual that is talked about all the time in books, in classes... and I've always found that fasciating but slightly hard to really get into. The people who write about it tend to be very profound, abstract, and it takes reading them many times to start to understand. (The Theatre and Its Double by Artaud - I've had three classes that dealt largely with Artaud and am on my fifth reading of it, and I think I'm beginning to get it.) The thing that still stumps me is why ritual is important, why it draws people - and I KNOW there's reasons and I KNOW them in an abstract, physical way but I'm still unclear and not able to articulate. Coming at this subject from the angle of Christian liturgy, a language I already speak quite well, I think will help me grasp these theories of ritual theatre in a way I can use.

The Tonys are tomorrow. This is my official reminder to my parents to tape them. I most likely will be unable to find a TV that actually gets channels to be able to watch them. It is astounding how much my heart remains unbroken at this. (Another despairing phone conversation with my parents: "The Tony nominations came out today... and I don't CARE!" "Oh... wow.")

And now.... pictures.


The view from a porch where I get internet access.

Lookout Road.

More Lookout Road.

Same spot, different camera setting.

Outside Anderson Auditorium.

Anderson Auditorium, where I usually work. (Well, part of it. It's huge.)

More outside Anderson.

Stairs and path to the lake and shops.

Lake Susan.

Assembly Inn.

Closeup on the bridge.

The dam. This is on the other side of the bridge I was standing on to take the previous few pictures.

Gazebo-y thing that oddly has no seats.

You can kind of get a fuller view of Anderson in the distance.

How I get to work/the booth.

Lookout Lodge - my home.

Molly, our RA's dog, waiting for her to come home.

Our RA washed our staff shirts, folded them, and put them on our beds. She's the cutest.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. I remembered the Tony's but forgot about the taping part. :)

    ReplyDelete