JOLLOF RICE, GHANA STYLE
3 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp vegetable oil (preferably palm oil)
2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable, your preference)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup long grain rice
1. In a saucepan, heat/mix oil, broth, tomato paste, and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Let simmer about five minutes.
2. Add rice, stir.
3. Cook until rice absorbs liquid.
You can also add vegetables to this. The next time I do it I want to dice an onion into that sauce but I didn't have one on hand. Served best with stir-fried chicken and fried RIPE plantains. You can also do 1 cup broth and 1 cup water for a bit lighter flavor, but pfft.
This is a big deal because I usually do not improvise in the kitchen (cooking-wise I'm generally not that confident... baking-wise is a whole different ballgame), and I've never cooked rice before. I just saw all these recipes and thought, "I've seen people make this. It's not that complicated."
We will now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
No comments:
Post a Comment