Yesterday, I got the call offering me a position I'd applied for at a theater upstate this summer. I'll explain more when it gets closer, but it's kind of like a summerstock training deal, where you have to pay if you go as an actor but as a designer you get a full ride (including housing) and a weekly stipend. I'll be designing nine shows and assisting professional designers on others. It's a fabulous opportunity for young designers to actually DESIGN instead of just do tech things, and bridge the gap from school to professional world. And frankly, it's one of the only programs of this kind available for sound designers. There's MUCH more out there for set, costumes, and lighting.
I was chatting with one of my former teachers about this, she asked about the dates, I told her I was there until September 1st, and she said, "And then what?"
And I blanked. Having reached, of course, the first point in my life where I have no concrete plans past a certain point. (This is particularly common for people in theater as our jobs are all so temporary.) The "what are you doing this summer?" question has been answered, but it's not like, "Oh, I'll go back to school in the fall, of course." I'll be done. Grad school, maybe, in the future. Seminary, likely, in the future. But right now? I have no idea what I'm doing come September, beside abstract plans. So I stuttered, "Uhm..." and she said, "Then it's the rest of your life."
Right.
I'm not worried about it, especially with the opportunities that have come my way this semester. I feel prepared. I don't know what's going to happen. But that's actually thrilling.
March 20th to be exact. (John 3:1-17; It is easy to miss it because we tend to focus on what's familiar in the Nicodemus story. Between you and Mark Hayes, I now connect with it. Thanks.)
ReplyDelete