I have developed a minor obsession with Medieval architecture, particularly in regards to religious buildings (I went to the Cloisters yesterday and reveled). This began on my Europe trip and has grown since then. I'm fascinated by the transition from Romanesque to Gothic, how the pointed arches distributed weight and allowed buildings to be built taller with more opportunities for windows. Light. Light light light.
Something that I think I knew in the back of my head but didn't quite realize until I went to Chartres was that these buildings were not built to look gloomy. We see these buildings, and they're old, the stone is dark, often the glass is too, but that's not how they were built, that's what's accumulated around them over the years. Check out these pictures of the restoration of Chartres. The difference is obvious - the stone is closer to white than brown, and I just imagine how the place will change when that restoration is done.
Similarly, I love to gaze at the south transept at Grace, the restoration of which was recently completed. Pictures here. There is so much light, so much air, it's breathtaking.
One of the many things I find so beautiful about these places is the contrast. Stone, this heavy substance, strong and powerful, creating a space for such beautiful light. We need each other.
That second Grace picture - the one of the chancel aisles... OH MY GOD.
ReplyDelete