Right now, if anyone tries to use the White Box sound system... well, they won't be able to. Because I installed a new mixer tonight. In about 20 minutes. (Got the wireless mics working on the old system in seven minutes from box to hearing my voice through the speakers.)
Tomorrow I'm going to go in early and organize cables and redo a bit of it so everything can be a balanced line. (With the old mixer you CAN'T run a balanced line, which is sad because that helps eliminate unnecessary noise coming from the speakers.) I'm also drawing a signal map and giving a whole technical lesson to the stage manager, who happens to be assisting me on one of my sound designs so this is convenient. (On the sound design where I'm leaving at the beginning of the two-weekend run, so she's actually going to have to understand the design and technical aspects so fully that she can completely take over.)
And I'm not even actually designing this show. I'm the dramaturg. I just know the technical side.
And the technical side IS actually really fun, too. There is a simple satisfaction in making things WORK that is sometimes just what you need.
That last paragraph is a great description of your dad.
ReplyDeleteTrue. So true.
ReplyDelete