The sermon, as I recall, focused around the women coming to the tomb, the hushed anticipation and confusion of that moment where he was gone and then he was risen. I remember it ended with her almost whispering, "Come! Come see!" so that we all felt quietly but breathlessly drawn to the tomb. And as she was bidding us, "Come!" Mark Miller started on the piano. It was the beginning of "Love Brought Me Back", a dark and exciting piano part, and every single member of the senior high choir sat up, not knowing what to do but now feeling even more drawn.
Then Mark said, "Senior highs," and that was all we needed. We LEPT from our seats and RAN onto the stage to sing, and I don't think I've ever seen a choir that enthusiastic. I was in the front looking like a complete and total fool. I wasn't the only one.
Fear and hatred had done their very worst
Despair had had its day
Sorrow and sadness were hanging in the air
The gloom would not go away
But early Sunday morning,
The women saw the Lord,
And there, they heard him say,
"I'M BACK!
Hallelujah, I'm back!
Don't you know that
Death could not hold me--
Love is what owns me!
Just here to tell ya,
God's got one last word and that's:
LOVE!
Love!
Love!
Love, love, love,
Love brought me back!"
It's the most important day of the year. Ring out the bells and shout Alleluia again!
No comments:
Post a Comment