:)
AV Crew, once again. With a slight pay raise! (and a tiny little bonus for being a returning staff member)
Most people got their contracts yesterday--I decided not to read heavily into that because I live in New York, not North Carolina. While I was rather sure I'd be rehired, it's a relief to actually get the contract.
At the end of last summer, I wasn't committing to returning. It was definitely an option, and I was definitely going to reapply, but I feel it's silly to say, "Oh yes, I'll be back!" when so much can change. (I think my answer was, "Probably, unless I go to India." India will happen at some point in my life, but I think it will be better for me to wait on that a bit longer.) But now I'm at the point where I have to say yes or no... and I'm responding with a resounding, "YES!"
Spending more time in a religious community and environment after this year when a lot has shifted... yes. Getting to spend another summer in Black Mountain, this time knowing the significant artistic history of the place and trying to unearth all that I can about the events there... yes. Getting a lot better at the pottery wheel... yes. Reconnecting with fellow returning staff members, returning planning team members, and one of my bosses who's one of the co-directors for Omega... yes. I do believe that my connections within the church system are just as important as my connections in theater.
I know at least six of the nine of us on AV Crew from last year are returning, including my fellow theater majors, Rachel and Russ. (When we three were reunited at Reunion, there were screams and everyone knew to get out of our way.) Most of Conference Support from last year is returning as well, and I am so excited for late-night Waffle House visits with Holt. One of my cast members for Maker of Dreams is from North Carolina, and we were talking and he mentioned Swananoa, and I yelped, "SWANANOA!!!" And we gushed on about Bojangles.
I love that place. I really do. And I'm more than thrilled to be returning.
Also:
This is a picture of my friend Richie and I playing at Chair and the Maiden Gallery in the West Village last week. (aka: I'm in a band?) The art that's on the walls is by the great-grandson of Wassily Kandinsky. This is actually hugely appropriate because I'm obsessed with Kandinsky, and I found out today that my name came up in two separate theater studies classes (aka: NOT studio classes) when they were talking about Kandinsky, and thus people have been pouncing on me lately asking questions about my synaesthesia.

No comments:
Post a Comment