Sunday, February 21, 2010

And there are longings well beyond what words can say...

Finally saw The Hidden Sky. I say "finally", but I've been purposefully waiting because if I saw this earlier in the run, all of my money would be gone because I'd just be in that theater all the time. (Sweeney 10 times, Gypsy 9 times, Forever Plaid 5 times, Austin's Bridge 4 times in a three week run... we know my theater-going habits.)

Encountering this piece again now, years from when I first started to know it... it's a very different experience. I'm seeing new things, identifying with different moments. I look at the journey of the main character and see intense amounts of similarities with my own spiritual journey and I wonder if that's at all because this musical has been such a part of my life. Nonetheless, it speaks hugely to me, as one of the restless reaching just out of reach, as someone who is after something, and it's not in Kelling, but has found that it's not in Adan either.

Any time I start to hate directing, please remind me that this piece exists, because I will not rest before I've directed this.

"One sip from the hand of God,
And the world begins to taste like ashes.
What would we not sacrifice
To live among the lightning flashes?"

1 comment: