Sunday, October 10, 2010

To help us survive being alive

All of us are simply trying to deal with the fact that we exist.

We're just trying to figure out how to move through life.

All the systems we've created, like science, religion, formalized education, psychotherapy, art, family, romance, hobbies, careers, the suburbs, machines, collaboration, clubs, governments, are all different ways of trying to figure it out. Organization to make sense of things. We choose what works for us and let go of what doesn't.

We are all in the same boat, but we are different people that boat. We share some of the same needs, we disagree, we challenge each other, we help each other. Whether or not we all use each other, we all need each other.

So why hold back?

All of these systems we think are life and death (or have "right" and "wrong") are just games for us to grow through. Why not be unboundedly generous with ourselves? Why do we get embarrassed by our emotions when those we're ashamed in front of have probably been dealing with those same emotions themselves? If someone lashes out at you when you're making an honest confession, the only hurt comes from lack of understand - a lack of understanding of your situation on their part, and a lack of understanding of their situation on your part. Once you realize that they're also just trying to deal with being alive, personal offence is wiped away. So the fear that "if I say what I feel, people will reject me" thing is dumb. Sure. They may. But that rejection isn't about you, so why fear it?

It comes down to fear. And I don't know why we fear. I can give you many reasons we fear but I don't actually know WHY. I feel like there is a why, and that why is very important, but I haven't gotten there yet.

But really. Why be afraid to open up to someone? Two years ago there were many questions I wouldn't have answered if you'd asked. Now, I can only think of one. I guess it comes down to what you're more afraid of - the hurt you may suffer at someone else's hands when you reveal, or the hurt they may suffer at yours when you withhold.

No comments:

Post a Comment