Okay, friends. Here's the thing. I have several long and important posts to make, but right now my head is spinning, so I'm just going to get some of this out right now (blog trailer? hmm).
Something big IS taking place in the hidden sky.
In the beautiful musical The Hidden Sky, a nuclear holocaust has caused a thick layer of soot to block out the sky. The sun is worshiped as God, so the times when the clouds clear and the people can see the sky are rare and celebrated as moments where the people can glimpse the face of God. Recounting the one time in his life that he saw the sun, one of the characters sings:
Rushing out I turn my face to the Hidden Sky
Something big is taking place in the Hidden Sky
There's a strange wind howling,
And the haze is battered thin
And something warm comes drifting in from the Hidden Sky
Casting shadows, kissing skin from the Hidden Sky
And it's round and gleaming gold,
And I know now why we're told it's the holy face of God.
But it looks like fire,
Like a burning ball,
And it's rising higher in the sky!
And this my sound foolish:
but I was sure of something.
These are the only words I have been able to coherently think recently, these words that are the anticipation of the revelation of God, that something is happening that's so much bigger. This harkens back to this post of the summer; Zion is being built. Things are HAPPENING. Things I don't understand yet but I know mean something. Things that I will eventually be more articulate about, but now I'm standing in jumbled wonder.
Peter Brook did a theater piece about a Sufi mystic in Mali, based on a book of this man's teachings. I found out about this because I just happened to get the issue of New African Magazine in a class of mine that had an article about the production as the last (and only theater-related) article in the issue. I'm now reading the book, which is making perfect, almost cosmic sense to me, as things like that often do. Considering going on an African village quest over fall break.
I have friends and now we are all literally scattered across the world, all investigating the same things, often in different languages, like we're on some communal mission that was never planned, that we've barely spoken of but runs deep in the heart of everything we do.
Last night, I sat down with a friend of mine here and someone who I've never met before, and by the end of dinner we were having an intimate conversation about spirituality, religion, and the deep importance of people and progressing to spiritual relationships and were somehow just so immediately there for each other in a way that I've only felt in relationships that have had years behind them. I doubt that the three of us will remain close for a long amount of time. But just for this moment, we made contact.
I met and am now working with the sweetest people in the world (no exaggeration), people who saw a need and have run to meet it even when they don't have enough themselves. And I feel so empowered to help them, that there's a passion in me (that I was only vaguely aware I had) that has connected with their need.
Things are happening. So much good is happening. The wind is stirring and it is more than possible to spend our entire lives promoting this good.
Oh, to see the Sun,
And the light of gold a-shining!
To behold the face of God!
For once to gaze on beauty past defining!
There is no coincidence, only light shining through the clouds.
No comments:
Post a Comment