Friday, August 13, 2010

Let's live it up.

Meet Rachel, Russ, and Colleen.

(top three on the picture. Russ' hat for the win.)

We are RCR, CR-squared. We are: the AV Theater Majors. And what we discovered this summer is that once you are a theater major, it never leaves you. It's in your blood.

(in regards to the AV Float for the 4th of July Parade)
Me: Russ, what should I wear?
Russ: What do you think you should wear?--woah, I just totally went deflecting director on you.

Russ: This is the book I got at the book sale. Check out the production photos in the front.
Rachel and I: PEER GYNT!
Eric (unaware that we're looking at Peer Gynt prdocution photos): Hey theater friends.
Rachel, Russ and I: ...fail.

Every two weeks, we have a conversation that goes somewhat like this:
Me: somethingsomethingsomething Tennessee Williams.
Russ and Rachel: I HATE TENNESSEE WILLIAMS.
Me: But, guys, his short plays...
Russ and Rachel: Okay, really we just hate Glass Menagerie.
Me: That's legit.

Every week, we have a conversation that goes somewhat like this:
Someone: Chekhov.
Rachel: The Seagull was the most depressing three hours I've ever spent in the theater.
Me: The Cherry Orchard is the weirdest play I've ever read. It has the line, "This dog eats nuts."
Russ: What translation of Cherry Orchard should I read?
Me: Paul Schmidt.
This is generally followed by a debate over whether Chekhov's depressing or whether Stanislavsky ruined Chekhov.

Rachel: We had to read 6 Lessons on Acting.
Me: Boleslavsky?
Rachel: Yeah.
Rachel and I both shake our heads in distaste.

Russ and I, sitting on the porch.
Me: You know why light streaming through the trees is so beautiful?
Russ: Why?
Me: Because the light has something to hit.
Russ: Yup.

Me: I'm currently harping on two things: my dream production of Blood Wedding, and how sound can change the physical experience of a room.
Russ laughs, then: Can I sound design your production of Blood Wedding?
Me: Yes.
(Pause.)
Russ: We could make this room seem huge if we could use all of the organ speakers...
Me: Yeah, I was just thinking about speaker placement...

Russ: I've read too much Sarah Kane this morning for this to be real.

Me: Wanna help me check a mic in Convo?
Russ: Yes. I can read some of A Number by Caryl Churchill.

I recite the beginning of 4.48 Psychosis, all the way through "don't let me forget".
Rachel, Russ, and I, at the same time: I AM SAD!

Russ: I want to do 4.48 as a sound piece.
Me: I love you.

Russ: Okay, let's talk about this. WHAT is with that period of theater right before WWI that includes things like The Maker of Dreams and A. A. Milne.
Me: I DON'T KNOW BUT IT'S THE BEST.

Russ: I JUST WANT TO MAKE BEAUTIFUL NOISES!
Me: ME TOO!

My last night in Montreat we talked about our futures, especially since I'm graduating and none of us are particularly planning on going back to Montreat next summer. And Russ said, "Every so often, we just need to get together somewhere. Like, we can come back here, and stay at my family's house, and reconnect, because when I'm around you guys I remember why I do all of this." I feel quite the same way, and thus this post is dedicated to them.

It is tradition that once you finish your part of the auditorium close-out and turn in your keys, you go to the Montreat pool and jump in, fully clothed. The lifeguards know and don't say anything. Two fulltime Montreat staffers were there, and since they were former summer staff, they saw us coming and cheered us on. Russ grabbed Rachel's and my hands, and we leaped.

No comments:

Post a Comment