Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Where've you been?

Looking at my post history, I averaged around 15 posts each month last summer, and this summer, it's in the single digits per month.

Sorry.

I shall now account for my actions.

What have I been up to all this time?

Well. I have been lying in hammocks, a lot. I have been reading. I have been studying the phenomenon of the energizer. I have been waking up at 5am to pray, even if I do go back to sleep because I'm working the evening shift. I have been trying to to my job well and with energy. I have been swimming in various bodies of water. I have been eating a Cookout, often. I have been getting sunburnt. I have been preparing for Ghana. I have been missing my friends who are abroad or in various places of the US that are not Western North Carolina. I have been wearing skirts. I have been hydrating myself. I have been forging new relationships with speakers and planning team members. I have been out at public concerts (post on Bele Chere coming soon). I have been listening to Antony and the Johnsons, Toubab Krewe, and the Double Rainbow Song. I've been teaching myself Farsi. I've been dreaming. I've been writing if not blogging. I've been talking, nearly constantly, though not necessarily with people. I've been nursing an abstract wound that's growing in the middle of my chest. I've been serving and taking communion as often as I can. I've been looking, waiting, and listening.

The difficulty is, when you listen, you start to realize that everything that is worth saying can be heard in the wind, and, frankly, that the wind says it best.

This can be death to the artist (or the blogger)... the phenomenon that everything worth saying has already been said better than you could ever articulate it. But our saving grace is that not everyone hears it, or knows how to listen, so some translation is still in order. What the wind says is more important than anything I can ever say on my own.

So when I'm not around, know that I am listening for news to pass along, if I can muster the words.

More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment