Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I'm sorry to shout, but HERE I AM!

(I'm going to see if I can title each of these blogs with musical theatre lyrics. I think if anyone can do it, I can.)

Hello from Montreat!

It seems like I've been here for significantly longer than I have. I moved into my room (my roommate is great), eaten a lot, and participated in quite a few orientation activities, both mixers and learning rules and regulations. Tomorrow I have CPR and First Aid training, and Thursday I start my departmental training. I've met everyone else on Production Crew, and most people on Facilities Crew (aka: Aud Crew, who works alongside Production Crew), and all the Conference Support staff. We are the summer staffers that make conferences happen. Woo! The girls in my lodge are great, and we've got a great sense of community here in Lookout. You'd think I'd be used to communities of people living together (aka: DORMS), but I was never around my dorm enough to actually know the people living by me and participate in activities. It's nice. Everyone here is extraordinarily generous.

I had this moment when we all held hands in a circle for grace before our first dinner together - when I realized that I was in this group full of people my age who were here to serve God. I know that sounds basic, but the impact of that was incredible - because it has been so long since I stood with a group like that. It was a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. I have always been a somewhat solitary person, but I didn't know the importance and relief of fellowship until that moment.

I only get phone service down in the Assembly Inn/Lake Susan/Anderson Auditorium area, not in my lodge, and wireless internet is only available in selected locations. I'm actually really excited about this. It's forcing me to break my technology habit and return to what's not behind a screen.

I started my study of Luke last night, and was delighted to find Theophilus addressed at the beginning. He was addressed in the beginning of the reading from Acts I read at Bon Air on Sunday. I must now find out who this Theophilus was.

Also: apparently Montreat has a labyrinth. You have to hike a bit up a mountain to find it. I'll be making that hike multiple times this summer.

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing. I'm not even Christian and it sounds lovely. I hope you're finding what you're looking for there. It sounds like it.

    <3 Z

    ReplyDelete